Oovee will not accept mods/code etc ripped from other games or made from models with illegal/unsuitable copyright or not in accordance with licenses and/or forum rules. Any Mods will be removed and the user may be banned.
Only statements relating to Spintires that are posted here by Oovee staff are official statements from Oovee limited and Spin Tires

Photo

tweaking others mods

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 mendel

mendel

Inoffizieller Übersetzer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • LocationNorth Sea Coast

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:39 AM

[Re SimCity 4 and RoR modding] Both are utterly ridiculous situations, especially so in the first case. Where the end user had to hunt all over the internet for over 500 separate files because the people who make the models won't let the people who make the installers put the models in the installers, and only make them available as a single building download.

Both open content licenses I am advocating in my previous post would have prevented that.

CC BY-NC-SA allows modders to republish the tweaked mod as a whole, because there's no need to keep the original file intact. This is the most convenient option for the players. (There'll be an attribution notice someplace that lists whose work went into this mod.) If you want to see the original mod, you need to find it on the web. (Shouldn't be difficult.)

CC BY-ND requires to keep the original mod intact, so can only distribute a patch (aka "install my tweak after you have installed this"), but it allows you to distribute all prerequisites (i.e. the mods you are patching) along with your tweak. This is less convenient, but it makes sure that the players can still install the original mod by itself after they have downloaded the tweaked version. Thus, players (and other modders) always have access to the original modders "pure" art. 

The moderating, support and other teams exercise the right to edit, remove or put on moderation queue any post or forum signature at any time.

#22 mendel

mendel

Inoffizieller Übersetzer

• Banned
  • PipPipPip
  • 653 posts
  • LocationNorth Sea Coast

Posted 03 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

Re-uploading the art content of a mod with changed xml files does not violate the copyright of the model/texture/sound artist unless at the time of first upload it is clearly stated that the files are to be available from that specific location only. Only uploading the changed xml files, directing the end user to the original mod, having them install the mod and then install the changed xml files gives you exactly the same end result, the only difference is who is doing the combining of the two. In neither case is anyone's copyright violated.

Let's be clear: "Re-uploading the art content of a mod" means reuploading it where it was originally uploaded (e.g. the ooVee file manager); and we are assuming that the original author is properly attributed.

Then your assertion that no copyrights are violated rests on the assumption that no derivative work has been created. Article 12 of the Berne convention states:

Authors of literary or artistic works shall enjoy the exclusive right of authorizing adaptations, arrangements and other alterations of their works.

If you're considering this on a file-by.file basis, then you can reupload unaltered files as part of your own mod; but if you consider the uploaded zip archive to be the "work", then a reupload with changed XML is a derivative work and requires permission from the original author. 

I think we should be safe and see a derivative work even in this case.

Addendum: Tweaking mods privately is still ok, because you do this when they're installed, i.e. they have become part of the Spintires game, and you're allowed to tweak that. (It says "modding-friendly" on my box.) It's only when you package up your tweaks that it becomes a problem, and only when you pass the package on does it become a problem that others know about.

Edited by mendel, 03 December 2014 - 11:56 AM.

The moderating, support and other teams exercise the right to edit, remove or put on moderation queue any post or forum signature at any time.

#23 dodgelover10386

dodgelover10386

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 04 December 2014 - 01:29 AM

So I understand that modders don't want people tweaking their vehicles that they spent so much time on only to pass it on as their own on the upload page but it seems to me that 99% of the people on this forum and that play this game are very respectful of others work and what they have to say. I understand the rules and don't mind seeing mod support come out to where someone like me cant tweak a mod someone else has built but it is also nice to play around with the trucks and such to accommodate to our own likes and wants. I'm still learning a lot about this game and how to tweak and do different things in the game and maybe someday ill be able to make my own mods so I don't have to tweak someone else's but for now its helping me learn more and more about modding and tweaking. I would just like every modder on here to know that I am in no way going to tweak their mods and re-upload them or publish them to share, just want to tweak more to my liking for fun. Not to share or claim credit, I have already had a few people message me and want me to send them copys of trucks I have tweaked and I have turned them down for the simple fact im not going to be that guy......much respect goes out to oovee and everyone on here for being so helpful and nice, its a great group on this forum..........

#24 Aaron Sanderson

Aaron Sanderson

they

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 22 July 2015 - 04:28 PM

So I understand that modders don't want people tweaking their vehicles that they spent so much time on only to pass it on as their own on the upload page but it seems to me that 99% of the people on this forum and that play this game are very respectful of others work and what they have to say. I understand the rules and don't mind seeing mod support come out to where someone like me cant tweak a mod someone else has built but it is also nice to play around with the trucks and such to accommodate to our own likes and wants. I'm still learning a lot about this game and how to tweak and do different things in the game and maybe someday ill be able to make my own mods so I don't have to tweak someone else's but for now its helping me learn more and more about modding and tweaking. I would just like every modder on here to know that I am in no way going to tweak their mods and re-upload them or publish them to share, just want to tweak more to my liking for fun. Not to share or claim credit, I have already had a few people message me and want me to send them copys of trucks I have tweaked and I have turned them down for the simple fact im not going to be that guy......much respect goes out to oovee and everyone on here for being so helpful and nice, its a great group on this forum..........

it's nice to see that the forum has respect for these very talinted modders and there countless hours behind blender or 3dsmax I too am on the same page as mr dodge lover is thanks and know that with out the mods we would all be quite bored with spintires by now I am sure

Edited by Aaron Sanderson, 22 July 2015 - 04:29 PM.

this is my winch there are many like it but this one is mine.......
my map
http://www.oovee.co....-will-be-blood/

#25 dan2015

dan2015

• Experienced Member
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 04:28 AM

ok. so i want to tweak a vehical that already comes with the game. i want to tweak it and upload it to the steam workshop for others to use. how do I do all that? I tried googling it and looking on youtube but I'm still confused.

#26 Axel Román Pereira

Axel Román Pereira

• Experienced Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 January 2017 - 04:33 PM

I've been Downloading mods from WorldofMods.com and every one of them show their wrong name in the game. I looked up for a xml that i think is called "ModString" and it shows the correct mod names asociated to the id (what I see in the game) but I Don't know what i have to do to fix This.

This is the XML:

<ModStrings>
    <String Id="p01qnjv" Value="Sortiment Platform" />
    <String Id="p01qnkf" Value="Load 6350 Platform" />
    <String Id="p01qn5e" Value="Stuff" />
    <String Id="p01qne3" Value="KamAZ 63501-Logger Military" />
    <String Id="p01qnge" Value="Sortiment Trailer" />
    <String Id="p01qne1" Value="Load 6350 Trailer" />
    <String Id="p01qnlo" Value="Truck Crane" />
    <String Id="p01qn0r" Value="KamAZ 63501-TS Military" />
    <String Id="p01qne" Value="Cistern3200" />
    <String Id="p01qnlp" Value="Evacuator" />
    <String Id="p01qnqv" Value="Truck Crane Front" />
    <String Id="p01qni7" Value="Tent" />
    <String Id="p01qnrg" Value="Utility Big" />
    <String Id="p01qn2m" Value="Frame Big" />
    <String Id="p01qn72" Value="Frame Crane" />
    <String Id="p01qn8r" Value="Utility Small" />
    <String Id="p01qnrm" Value="Technical Assistance" />
    <String Id="p01qnvr" Value="Standard Spare Wheel" />
    <String Id="p01qnub" Value="OffRoad Spare Wheel" />
    <String Id="p01qnam" Value="Tank350" />
    <String Id="p01qnan" Value="Platform Bridge" />
    <String Id="p01qn4a" Value="Bridge tmm6350" />
</ModStrings>

I should see the "Value" not the "id" in the game.

Any Help? Please?

#27 hydrowasul

hydrowasul

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 January 2017 - 10:04 PM

Any Help? Please?

the <String Id= should be the name of the /classes XML, so  if you have vehicle1.xml it should look like  <String Id="vehicle1" Value="Vehicle 1" />

#28 Axel Román Pereira

Axel Román Pereira

• Experienced Member
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 12 January 2017 - 06:51 PM

Nevermind!! I already did it!!

I had to put the names and the id manually in to Media.zip//strings\en\assets.txt

The sintaxis was:

/id

Value

/id

Value

Thanks Anyway

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users