Oovee will not accept mods/code etc ripped from other games or made from models with illegal/unsuitable copyright or not in accordance with licenses and/or forum rules. Any Mods will be removed and the user may be banned.
Only statements relating to Spintires that are posted here by Oovee staff are official statements from Oovee limited and Spin Tires

There is a issue with the Facebook Login. Until this is fixed you can request a password reset using the email you use to access Facebook.

Photo

How to "Tweak" a vehicle [under construction]

• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#1 King_the_modder

King_the_modder

King

• Moderators
  • 688 posts

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:04 PM

Saying as so many people ask mod creators to make their vehicle faster or more powerful or raise it and all these other things, i thought, why not post a short tutorial into editing a vehicles performance. 

Right now im on a school computer, so i will not be showing how to change the graphical size of the tires right now. But, i will be showing how to adjust the radius and width of the physical tire.

Topic is being updated with new info required for the full game. It may take several days for all info to be added, so keep that in mind when reading this topic.

I will keep the old Tech demo stuff at the bottom and show what has changed in the full game. 

Wheel properties:

wheel properties are found in the media/classes/wheels folder.  When opened, it should look something like this: 

<TruckWheel
	Mesh="king_unimog/unimog_wheel.xml"                              

TrackTexture="trucks/Brute-51Chevy/Brute-51Chevy-Track.dds"        
	Radius="0.44"
	Width="0.228"
	Mass="500"
	Friction="3.2"
	SubstanceFriction="1.0"
	>
        <Softness ForceScale="0.5" MaxAccel="0.01" RadiusDelta="0.02" />
</TruckWheel>

Mesh= Where the mesh for the wheel is located, starting from the meshes/trucks folder, as well as its name

TrackTexture= The location and file name for the texture left behind

Radius= The physical radius of the wheel not the visual size

Width= The physical width of the wheel not visual width

Mass= The mass of the wheel

Friction= The amount of friction on HARD surfaces

SubstanceFriction= The amount of friction on SOFT surfaces

ForceScale= how much the tire deforms, do not go lower than 0.3

MaxAccel= How bouncy the tire is

RadiusDelta= (no clue, if someone knows please tell me and i will post it up here, although i have found changing this value really does nothing)

Tech Demo: 

open your class .xml for the truck you want to tweak.  You can open it with notepad, word, or notepad++

Your truck file should be found here. 

Spintires/media/classes/trucks

This truck has three wheel templates. Templates are basically where the wheels are told to be something and have certain properties.

PHYSICAL TIRE PROPERTIES

<Wheel>

<FrontWheel                                                     <------- Template name.
Mesh="bully_WF.xml"                                       <-------- This is where you can change the tire and put one on from another vehicle.
TrackTexture="kamaz_track__d.tga"               <------ This is the track that the tires leaves behind as you drive.
Radius="0.5"                                                     <-------This changes the physical radius of the tire. 
Width="0.758"                                                   <-------This changes the physical width of the tire.
Mass="300"                                                       <-------This is the weight of the tire. A heavy tire means the truck handles better.
Friction="10.2"                                                   <-------This changes the friction of the tire on the ground when there is no mud.
SubstanceFriction="1.6"                                    <-------This is the friction of the tire in mud.
SteeringAngle="27"                                           <-------This is how much the wheel turns. a positive integer means it turns regularly, negative                                                                                                                                                                                                  means opposite.
Torque="default"                                               <------- "default" means its turning when you give it throttle. "true" means it only turns in all wheel                                                                                                                                                                                                                     drive
>
NOTE: There are more than one templates for each wheel.

SUSPENSION
<Suspension
MinLimit="-0.4"                                              <------- The amount the wheel can move downward (integers do not work, only decimals)
MaxLimit="0.2"                                               <------- The amount the wheel can move upward. (integers do not work, only decimals) 
Strength="0.005"                                           <------- The strength of the suspension, lower the number, the weaker it is. 
Damping="0.18"                                            <------- The "bounciness" of the suspension.
/>
<Steering JointOffset="0.1" Castor="8" />     <------ this doesnt really matter unless your making a mod from scratch. 
<Softness ForceScale="1.0" MaxAccel="0.5" />      <------- This is how soft the tires are, if made correctly the deform.

GEARS AND PPPOOOOWWWWEEERRRR 
This is located near the bottom of the file. 

<Gear
Torque="99900"                                              <-----The amount of power the truck has.
AngVelMin="-2.0"                                             <-----The minimum speed/power
AngVelOpt="1.0"                                              <-----The optimum speed/power
AngVelMax="8.0"                                             <-----The maximum speed/power
LinVelMax="2.0"                                               <-----This does not change much, but feel free to fool around with it anyway :P
MaxDeltaAngVel="0.005"                                 <-----This is how fast the torque gets to the wheels, the smaller the # the faster the power is                                                                                                                                                                                                      received
/>

There are multiple of these sections, in fact, one for each gear. and one for reverse with the special start tag  "<ReverseGear".

Under that youll find this:

<Wheels>                                                                                        <----Start tag for whole group
       <Wheel _template="FrontWheel" DiffGroup="axle0">                     <---- the template used.  
        <Suspension Hardpoint="(1.466; -0.118; 1.1)" />                           <--- the wheel placement.
     </Wheel>                                                                                         <--- end tag of single wheel
        <Wheel _template="FrontWheel" DiffGroup="axle0">
         <Suspension Hardpoint="(1.466; -0.118; -1.1)" />
    </Wheel>

<Wheel _template="Wheel" DiffGroup="axle0">
            <Suspension Hardpoint="(0.138; -0.118; 1.1)" />
    </Wheel>
         <Wheel _template="Wheel" DiffGroup="axle0">
         <Suspension Hardpoint="(0.138; -0.118; -1.1)" />
    </Wheel>
        <Wheel _template="RearWheel" DiffGroup="axle1">
        <Suspension Hardpoint="(-1.0; -0.118; 1.25)" />
    </Wheel>
      <Wheel _template="RearWheel" DiffGroup="axle1">
        <Suspension Hardpoint="(-1.0; -0.118; -1.25)" />
    </Wheel>
       <Wheel _template="WheelR" DiffGroup="axle1">
          <Suspension Hardpoint="(-2.284; -0.118; 1.25)" />
     </Wheel>
            <Wheel _template="WheelR" DiffGroup="axle1">
            <Suspension Hardpoint="(-2.284; -0.118; -1.25)" />
    </Wheel>
</Wheels>                                                                                     <---- end tag of whole group.

this set up is for an 8x8, 2 sections per row of wheels. Now, lets look at the placement. 
"(-2.284; -0.118; -1.25)" />
On most trucks it is placed with the first set of numbers for the placement of the wheel front to back. 
The second set is the height placement.. the lower the number for example -0.3, the higher your truck.
The last row is the placement of the wheels from side to side. 

Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions feel free to ask! Ill be adding on to this more in the future! 

• Hein, Pravus_Obzen, Almost and 12 others like this

KING_THE_MODERATOR

Ask me about maps, and i shall not answer!

#2 Hein

Hein

Make Coffee Not War

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 07 April 2014 - 04:18 PM

Nice! Thanks. Always struggling with the suspension ;) not anymore.

• King_the_modder and itchypenguin like this

Do NOT pm me for support. Use the forum to post your questions etc..

When there is something to announce, Oovee will announce it.

#3 Hazzard

Hazzard

Advanced Member

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 12:51 AM

Wow that will be helpful to new modders that want to change tires and the Powerrrrrrrrrrrrr!

• King_the_modder and itchypenguin like this

#4 Hein

Hein

Make Coffee Not War

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 April 2014 - 02:50 AM

Yep. Going to update my crawler tutorial.
  • King_the_modder likes this

#5 King_the_modder

King_the_modder

King

• Moderators
  • 688 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 03:27 AM

Wow that will be helpful to new modders that want to change tires and the Powerrrrrrrrrrrrr!

Whole reason why i posted it! :P i got tired of seening people ask modders to do something that was not ment to be on a vehicle, but i wanted them to have what they want, so, the most asked questions can be answered with this xD

Yep. Going to update my crawler tutorial.

:D

So, i have heard many things, like the suspension is softer if the min and max limits are far apart.. eg:  -0.9 and 0.1... but that is not true, it basically says, allow wheel to move ____ increments downward/upward. So for 0.5 as a maxlimit, it says the wheel can only move 0.5 upward, however. if the weight is up unnecessarily high, it will move higher up than that. everything works with each other in the .xml, weight with the suspension, wheel mass, width and radius with toque, etc etc

Now by the way, everything i tell you guys in this tutorial are from my experiences, i could be wrong, and if i am, well let me know! If i still believe im right, ill message a dev and ask so i can clarify xD who knows.. maybe some people will get to say "i told ya so" :P

Edited by King_the_modder, 08 April 2014 - 03:28 AM.

KING_THE_MODERATOR

#6 Bregel

Bregel

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 399 posts

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:26 AM

MaxDeltaAngVel="0.005"                                 <-----This is how fast the torque gets to the wheels, the smaller the # the faster the power is                                                                                                                                                                                                      received

In my humble opinion, its viceversa.

• King_the_modder and CannsaurusX like this

bregels garage

2l8clc5.jpg 1547crm.jpg b6er9u.jpg 29fyxyc.jpg 2rxu1r9.jpg 2d7u6gg.jpg 15o76g4.jpg x4rgqr.jpg 2r55386.jpg bil187.jpg 2j5yoe9.jpg 2rd7yip.jpg

#7 Hein

Hein

Make Coffee Not War

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 08 April 2014 - 09:52 AM

I have tried setting a higher number for MaxDeltaAngVel and it does look like Bregel might be right. Can anyone confirm?

#8 Hazzard

Hazzard

Advanced Member

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 958 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 08 April 2014 - 10:26 PM

Whole reason why i posted it! :P i got tired of seening people ask modders to do something that was not ment to be on a vehicle, but i wanted them to have what they want, so, the most asked questions can be answered with this xD

:D

So, i have heard many things, like the suspension is softer if the min and max limits are far apart.. eg:  -0.9 and 0.1... but that is not true, it basically says, allow wheel to move ____ increments downward/upward. So for 0.5 as a maxlimit, it says the wheel can only move 0.5 upward, however. if the weight is up unnecessarily high, it will move higher up than that. everything works with each other in the .xml, weight with the suspension, wheel mass, width and radius with toque, etc etc

Now by the way, everything i tell you guys in this tutorial are from my experiences, i could be wrong, and if i am, well let me know! If i still believe im right, ill message a dev and ask so i can clarify xD who knows.. maybe some people will get to say "i told ya so" :P

I already knew I learn t it on spintires.nl but this will be a good refresher

• King_the_modder likes this

#9 itchypenguin

itchypenguin

• Experienced Member
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 08:30 AM

I really want to learn how to change up the graphical size of tires, I opened it up to see what it was like to change it around, and yea, its confusing as heck, so if someone can explain to me step-by-step on how to do so, id really appreciate it. And what I used to open it up with is Adobe Photoshop Elements 9.

#10 King_the_modder

King_the_modder

King

• Moderators
  • 688 posts

Posted 05 May 2014 - 07:59 PM

I really want to learn how to change up the graphical size of tires, I opened it up to see what it was like to change it around, and yea, its confusing as heck, so if someone can explain to me step-by-step on how to do so, id really appreciate it. And what I used to open it up with is Adobe Photoshop Elements 9.

If i have time, and if i dont have to take 7 videos to get one i like, ill make a video; step by step, changing tire size graphically. This includes getting the software, and learning the most basic functions. Also, id like to add, if i get enough support i will post videos on converting vehicles for ST

• Hazzard, biga0879, ponyexpress and 1 other like this

KING_THE_MODERATOR

#11 spetnaz

spetnaz

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:34 AM

I'll give my support for your tutorial video. :)
  • biga0879 likes this

#12 ESFEagle

ESFEagle

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:40 PM

Hey I am in the xml of my a truck and I cant find any of this.

#13 vihulainen

vihulainen

(o_O)

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 May 2014 - 02:59 PM

Are you sure? You should find all of this in your .xml file on these folders

spintires/media/classes/trucks

spintires/media/meshes/trucks

And did you open it with what? If you dont have notepad++ you can use normal notepad to edit .xmls

. _______.oooo
/¯¯¯||¯¯||¯¯\¯¯¯\____
L/¯¯\\__||__ |"/¯¯ (ºllllllº)    Jeep Wj
  (¯)) ¯¯  ¯¯     (¯))==))     Expedition Wj

#14 ESFEagle

ESFEagle

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:00 PM

I went into the wrong xml lol I can get everything to work except for giving  it more lift.

#15 vihulainen

vihulainen

(o_O)

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:06 PM

On bottom of your .xml you can find this

<Wheels>
<Wheel _template="FrontWheelLeft" DiffGroup="axle0">
<Suspension Hardpoint="(1.505; 0.5; 0.9)" />
</Wheels>
etc......

1st number is backward and forward
2nd number is up and down
3rd number is sideways

. _______.oooo
/¯¯¯||¯¯||¯¯\¯¯¯\____

#16 Templar

Templar

Where were going, we dont need roads....

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, US

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

to add some more to that^  for front and back - positive numbers are forward, negatives are backwards

for up /down - positive goes lower, negative goes higher

for left/right - positive goes left, negative goes right

Link to my latest tweak : http://www.oovee.co....raded-trailers/

#17 Hein

Hein

Make Coffee Not War

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,810 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:26 PM

..from the center of the vehicle
  • Templar likes this

#18 Templar

Templar

Where were going, we dont need roads....

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationNorth Carolina, US

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:32 PM

We will get him set, as long as we keep covering each other lol :)

• vihulainen likes this

Link to my latest tweak : http://www.oovee.co....raded-trailers/

#19 ESFEagle

ESFEagle

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 03:48 PM

I got it to work thanks and how do I add a trailer hitch?

#20 vihulainen

vihulainen

(o_O)

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 108 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 10 May 2014 - 08:11 AM

Somewhere in a middle of .xml you can find this

<CombineTruck>

And you need to add this

<Socket Type="hook" Offset="(-2.48; 1.1; 0.0)" />

Offset numbers work the same way as numbers on suspension.

. _______.oooo
/¯¯¯||¯¯||¯¯\¯¯¯\____

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users