Oovee will not accept mods/code etc ripped from other games or made from models with illegal/unsuitable copyright or not in accordance with licenses and/or forum rules. Any Mods will be removed and the user may be banned.
Only statements relating to Spintires that are posted here by Oovee staff are official statements from Oovee limited and Spin Tires

There is a issue with the Facebook Login. Until this is fixed you can request a password reset using the email you use to access Facebook.

Photo

need advice on building pc

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Vectormen3

Vectormen3

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 04 December 2016 - 11:05 AM

So, basically I wanted to build a mini-PC running linux for simple everyday tasks (such as office, browser, youtube, some videos), but I have a hard time choosing from the following 3 solutions:

- Anything with onboard cpu, such as a celeron j3160. Don't know how smooth it is going to perform without getting frustrating, especially because many mobos are coming with older processors like j1800 or j1900... Has anybody some experience with this type of systems and how well do they perform?

Definitely tempting because of the fanless operation and low power consumption.

- LGA 1150 based system (probably with celeron G1840); convenient because I would already have a lot of compatible spare available at home (DDR3 ram, etc). Also I'm 100% sure linux will work.

- LGA 1151 based system (celeron G3900); don't know if it gives me any advantages over LGA 1150 systems. Is it worth upgrading to DDR4 ram? Also don't know if linux will work properly since there has been some compatibility problems lately.

Pricing would be similar for all solutions.

Anyways, the main problem is if I should go with onboard cpu, and if not, should I go 1150 or 1151?

Thanks a lot for any suggestions and have a nice day

Edited by Vectormen3, 04 December 2016 - 11:07 AM.

#2 Mud Mobile

Mud Mobile

• Experienced Member
  • PipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 30 December 2016 - 10:31 PM

If you want to go super el cheapo for your pocket sized mini-PC running linux for simple everyday tasks (such as office, browser, youtube, some videos), buy a rasberry pi 2 or 3 so you have 4 usb pors for $60 or so and add a DS3231 real time clock with a built in battery for $5 so your pi keeps good time for your documents. 

If you use berryboot you can select on bootup from multiple operating systems and types of linux.

Browsing the internet is a bit slower but it will get the job done.   

I started my rasberry pi project which was basically the same as you described but I never finished it.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users