Oovee will not accept mods/code etc ripped from other games or made from models with illegal/unsuitable copyright or not in accordance with licenses and/or forum rules. Any Mods will be removed and the user may be banned.
Only statements relating to Spintires that are posted here by Oovee staff are official statements from Oovee limited and Spin Tires

There is a issue with the Facebook Login. Until this is fixed you can request a password reset using the email you use to access Facebook.

Photo

Rig vs rig. Benchmark war

50 replies to this topic

#1 Aaron Sanderson

Aaron Sanderson

they

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 02:48 PM

I was thinking. I would like to start a benchmark war here on the forum. I have a few questions for you guys. What program should we use for this. ? Your choise i dont care what one any of these : catzilla, haven bench mark , star swarm ., ect etc i am sure there are many more.
As a format to post screenshots i am requesting you post screen shots of your rigs specs via the steam then post a screen shot of your benchmark scores After we figure out what one you would like to run i prefer a free one from steam as it will level the playing feild
this is my winch there are many like it but this one is mine.......
my map
http://www.oovee.co....-will-be-blood/

#2 MarijnS95

MarijnS95

Veteran Member

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 04:16 PM

What do you want to do with Steam? Why do you want to be dependent on that instead of just using this forum?
For instance Heaven benchmark you mentioned isn't even on there (but it's free).
The people on this forum... unbelieveable.

#3 MarijnS95

MarijnS95

Veteran Member

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 07:08 PM

Anyway, just a quick one.
specs

Some overclock, haven't spent much time on it, but for sure the GTX970 can go higher. I think the core was running at 1520MHz ish, and the VRAM at 7.9GHz effective.
Edit: look below, there's an even higher score there.
Spoiler

• Aaron Sanderson and Axonn like this

#4 Aaron Sanderson

Aaron Sanderson

they

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 08:58 PM

What do you want to do with Steam? Why do you want to be dependent on that instead of just using this forum?
For instance Heaven benchmark you mentioned isn't even on there (but it's free).

dosnt really mater to me what one was trying to just feel out what ppl would like to do I will
put haaven in tonight and try it and post a screen
my map

#5 Aaron Sanderson

Aaron Sanderson

they

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 09:01 PM

http://unigine.com/p...chmarks/heaven/

I figure that a link to the heaven 4.0 site was in order
my map

#6 Aaron Sanderson

Aaron Sanderson

they

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:24 PM

I will be posting a vid of my haven bench mark any sugestions on if I should run a program like msi afterburner or not I can oc my cpu so is it wotk it to oc a super super clocker gpu?
my map

#7 MarijnS95

MarijnS95

Veteran Member

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 10:44 PM

I will be posting a vid of my haven bench mark any sugestions on if I should run a program like msi afterburner or not I can oc my cpu so is it wotk it to oc a super super clocker gpu?

Heaven only tests GPU capabilities. There's no point in recording the benchmark since we can all see it for ourselves and it'll decrease your score. Only the final score page matters.

You should really watch the settings though. I did the benchmark on ultra, tesselation on extreme, 1920x1080 (I did windowed but I should do fullscreen), 8xAA, which matters.

Btw what hardware do you have?

#8 MarijnS95

MarijnS95

Veteran Member

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 21 November 2015 - 11:10 PM

Please don't look at the above benchmark, that was just some randomness..
I present to you, 1243mv, 47-51 degrees celsius, 95-101% TDP (aprox 150W), 1469MHz core clock (and the VRAM still at 7.9GHz effective):
O8YT8dt.png

(and it can go even further...)
Apparently not. The voltage can't go higher than 1243mv (without modding the bios which voids the warranty). I never noticed but it runs at 1218mv stock, and I have to add at least 19mv to make it jump to 1243mv. It doesn't go any higher (even when I add like 70mv).
So at +243MHz (1472MHz) the display driver crashes, but at 1471 it runs stable (both at 1218mv and 1243mv!). Got the mem speed up to 8GHz, but I don't dare to go higher before putting some heatsinks on the chips (they are not cooled, there's no backplate). And actually one chip on the front side isn't attached to the heatsink either, making it very difficult to get one underneath there (heatpipes are obstructing the eventual placement of such a block).
However these results are negligible. I got slightly higher min and max framerates, tohugh the score was 1574... :wacko:. Probably somewhere inbetween a little glitch occured dropping the average.

Now onto CPU benchmarking.. I found Cinebench to be a nice tool :)
The downside of CPU overclocking - however - is that you have to reboot your complete pc when it becomes unstable. With the GPU you just have to wait a couple seconds before the display driver reloads.
  • Aaron Sanderson likes this

#9 Aaron Sanderson

Aaron Sanderson

they

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 01:10 AM

I don't know where to find the screen shots I took while running the bench mark and by the time I saw your reply I had the you tube vid loaded skip to the end to see the score ill do it again with tessellation on normal ,,, am running a 3.2gh i7 4790 (not a "k" :( ) 16 gb ram a n 750 w psu ( have an 1100w I am planning to install soon) a evga gtx690 2gb ftw edition with the back plate oh boy lol and that's it on a duel screen set up one crap flat monitore and my main display on a 1080 p lg 36" hdtv

ZqsE02E.jpg
test fitting the 1100w psu (this was before I installed the gtx960 had a pny gtx750 )

I could deff use some advice setting up the card

jB3pXgO.jpg

Edited by Aaron Sanderson, 22 November 2015 - 02:08 AM.

• MarijnS95 likes this
my map

#10 Hein

Hein

Make Coffee Not War

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,814 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 22 November 2015 - 05:27 PM

Cute phone Aaron ;)
  • MarijnS95 and Aaron Sanderson like this

Do NOT pm me for support. Use the forum to post your questions etc..

When there is something to announce, Oovee will announce it.

#11 Aaron Sanderson

Aaron Sanderson

they

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 06:41 PM

Cute phone Aaron ;)

thanks buddy that's my new smart phone it counts to ten and shows me, three , that's right! three colors I think it was the colors where ,wed, bue ,an lellow

Edited by Aaron Sanderson, 22 November 2015 - 06:42 PM.

my map

#12 MarijnS95

MarijnS95

Veteran Member

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 22 November 2015 - 07:03 PM

Cool Aaron :) However we should keep our settings exactly the same, because the score doesn't take settings into account. So, I dialed in my overclock, set Heaven to match your settings, and there I went, waiting for the card to beat your score of 1116.... and it did... It reached 4275! EDIT: I did the downclock (as mentioned below) and set the resolution right (Aaron's res was 6 pixels less wide), and my score is currently 4376. See bottom of this post:
Spoiler

I should try a little lower overclock because that has a negligible result on the max FPS but will probably increase the minFPS by a bit (since sometimes it stutters :P, little unstable). Rest assured, I don't run the card like this when regularly gaming.
However, I might've been cheating a little. First, you're probably not running an overclock... I'm running this thing on the end of it's (non warranty voided) capabilities (well I might go a little more crazy on the VRAM because I haven't pushed it yet, but 8GHz effective sounds about right, it's a whole 1 GHz more than stock. The chips were untouchably hot back in the summer. They didn't overclock well though, had artefacts at 7.9GHz already, and now they run stable at 8GHz :P).
Secondly, I live in the Netherlands, and it's currently approx 2 degrees celsius outside. So, I've had my windows open for a while (though I can still feel it's even colder outside), and put all the fans to 100%... Guess what (btw that is the overclock that I currently have, remember that the displayed VRAM speed is only half the effective speed, or double the real speed):
bX8HMKi.png
15 degrees! I might even try to put my PC in front of the window so it can suck all the cold air from the outside (instead of currently kinda blowing towards it). Or even move my setup outside and see what happens :D.
I wouldn't call it cheating though, since this card has never ran hot. It reached a max of 45 degrees while running Heaven on aformentioned settings:
S4eYOdp.png
(Had to do some editing to fit everything on the same image ;))

I can run the i7-4790k at 4.5GHz without adding voltage. With 4.6 and 200mv extra it freezes after a while. I haven't taken the time to really work on an overclock there, just not enough time...

Your rig: the Heaven result clearly shows your CPU runs at 3.6GHz instead of 3.2... And why do you have such a small CPU cooler? Your GPU drivers are outdated ;) currently we have 359.00 already :)
What's up with that huge power supply? Are you planning to put 3 Titan X's in there? Why is that blue fan on the bottom right sucking air away from the GPU intake? Apparently your card works the other way around when I look at the fan positioning. However then you're still taking away air from the heatsink intake...
Sorry for being critical. It's not my intention t be mean (even though I sound like that) but hope we can make your system a little faster.
You mention you need "advice setting up the card"... do you mean overclock?

Now people with GTX980 (Ti)'s, please step in and show your non-overclocked and overclocked results! Afaik I've beaten a non-overclocked GTX980 (which currently still costs a 180 euros more than my GTX970).

Edit:
I did something wrong with the screen width, and I sacrificed 2MHz (that's 2 million clockticks per second!!). However, the result may be there: 4376!
j2vOMCs.jpg
It ran a little hotter though, I didn't take the time to go back to 15 degrees again ;) (I returned the fans to normal, the card was 33 degrees when I turned them to 100% and started the benchmark when it was 24 degrees). It ended up with a max of approx 50 degrees celsius.

#13 richieXtheXboss

richieXtheXboss

Veteran Member

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,200 posts
  • LocationIllinois

Posted 22 November 2015 - 08:11 PM

ill bring out the liquid nitrogen for some ultimate cooling 

http://hwbot.org/ben...k/cpu_frequencygood time to have an amd cpu 

also we could use cinebench 15 for cpu testing

http://www.guru3d.co...5-download.html

Edited by richieXtheXboss, 22 November 2015 - 08:12 PM.

76561198169035384.png

#14 Aaron Sanderson

Aaron Sanderson

they

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:19 AM

I am new to this overclocking,,,,the gpu n such after reading the last post from marjin I have removed that blue fan and installed a 750w psu the 11000 I just have so why not lol , I am also running down all the drivers and such as we speek iv also installed evgas oc scanner that's to work with t evgas precision 16 and am now going to learn how to tune up my card on a side note I now have a new goal of buying a 4gb gtx 980ti when I finally can afford one as the numbers speek volumes ill run a new bench mark after getting the drivers and a decent oc on the gpu goes
my map

#15 Aaron Sanderson

Aaron Sanderson

they

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:58 AM

so after getting the right drivers and setting up the oc programs this is my base line that I got,

QRRnbZc.jpg

I will see what I can do with the oc programs and report back I also need to figure out how to get my resolutions right as it seems I am having some trouble with it
my map

#16 MarijnS95

MarijnS95

Veteran Member

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:00 AM

I am new to this overclocking,,,,the gpu n such after reading the last post from marjin I have removed that blue fan and installed a 750w psu the 11000 I just have so why not lol , I am also running down all the drivers and such as we speek iv also installed evgas oc scanner that's to work with t evgas precision 16 and am now going to learn how to tune up my card on a side note I now have a new goal of buying a 4gb gtx 980ti when I finally can afford one as the numbers speek volumes ill run a new bench mark after getting the drivers and a decent oc on the gpu goes

There's plenty of guides on how to overclock.. And most overclocking tools work exactly the same. Most seem to be build on the same Rivatuner core, which does the actual GPU modifications. The rest is just features.

imho (again, I don't want to be mean) GTX980 and above are only for the people who can simply say "meh, I want the best and the greatest no matter the cost", and do not care about it's price to performance ratio. They are not that much better than a GTX970, even though their price might indicate so (you pay a lot more for a little performance increase... SLI'ing 2 GTX970s is said to be cheaper and faster but brings the hassle of SLI and games that do not correctly support this). So if you really have to save up money you'd better keep it. Especially now, please wait for Nvidia Pascal, that's said to be ~10 times faster than what we have now! And if you're just going to play Spintires and do some modelling it's a 100% waste of money (unless you're going to play some higher end games that is!).
You can read more here about it's performance, and on the bottom a little price/performance comparison with the GTX980 and 970, as well as a comparison with the 970 SLI I mentioned.

#17 MarijnS95

MarijnS95

Veteran Member

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:05 AM

so after getting the right drivers and setting up the oc programs this is my base line that I got,

I will see what I can do with the oc programs and report back I also need to figure out how to get my resolutions right as it seems I am having some trouble with it

That looks better :) However Valley is said to be a little less stressful, so I'd reccommend you to redo the Heaven test as well and see if the driver upgrade made any difference.
I've no idea on the resolution... It's weird that the result has a different one than what you started with. You should check the settings while it's running (before starting the benchmark) and see what happens.

Edit I'll test valley as well and let you know the results... after the download finishes (it's downloading at 200kb/s :wacko:) and if I don't go to sleep before, it's 2.12AM and I'm still programming on the converter...

#18 Aaron Sanderson

Aaron Sanderson

they

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:18 AM

Ahhh hope all goes well i am running heaven now going to try and increass values by 50 mhz at a time till i get artifacts
my map

#19 Aaron Sanderson

Aaron Sanderson

they

• Experienced Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,222 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 01:39 AM

GtYumJE.jpg

there we go its not too bad your numbers make mr drool I will take some time and learn the right way to oc my card if I need to the steady 60 fps is just excellent imho I did notice fps drop with 1 or 2 degreas in temp increase and now will start with a fan curve and then move on to the rest
my map

#20 MarijnS95

MarijnS95

Veteran Member

• Senior Moderator
  • 3,597 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 10:41 AM

So I decided to quickly run valley on your settings... Here's the result:
GxCT8uB.png
Keep in mind the core and mem speeds on the top right aren't accurate... Those on the top left are ;)

I should still run both benchmarks on my own resolution (and for heaven, with tesselation on extreme).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users